Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mini-ratchet not up for the job... toes screws in a tight place








While installing a new railing, I had a few hard-to-reach holes with some "toe" screws to put in (screws going at an angle into one piece and coming out into another piece beside it). I had a 10cm (3") distance between the floor and the bottom of the base railing. I pre-drilled and put in the screws as far as I could before putting the board into place, but the majority of the screwing still needed to be done. [Note: the wooden block was there just to hold up the rail into the screws were put in]

I couldn't fit my drill or my screwdriver into place and really didn't want to consider using some sort of stubby/mini screw driver. I went hunting for an angle attachment or some alternative driver and settled on a small ratchet that came with screw driver (Robertson #2)

The Mastercraft mini-ratchet worked well after getting the right angle and back pressure with my thumb. But just when I thought I should stop and check my progress, I saw an "O" ring had come loose from the ratchet socket. It had been holding the whole works together, which systematically fell apart in my hands. It lasted a full 30 minutes from the time I purchased it and returned promptly to get a refund. Perhaps it was more designed for light-duty electronics work?

It did give me a good idea though, which I should have thought of before, to use my normal ratchet set! I picked up a 3/8" socket with the right sized Roberston bit and headed home to try it. Of course I knew it wouldn't be fragile enough to fall apart. Sure enough it fit well and the longer handle helped make the work easier. The only problem I had was that it worked too well! The last screw I was driving in broke off when it was 90% of the way in. It still held well enough and I ended up reinforcing it with another screw from above.

It was a long day, but the base for my new railing was now in place.

4 comments:

The Hopeless Handyman said...

The above posting was for the first rail I was installing. Since then (almost a year ago) I installed three more panels to this railing. I changed the way I did this and instead of trying to hide screws from underneath, I hid them on top.

After drilling the holes in a similar location, I ended up putting in the base of my railing panel (with a 2x4) at the bottom. I set the holes so they'd be covered by the 2x4. It was much easier (as you can imagine). More on this in another post on building a cheap wood railing for a carport.

luckyg said...

Mini-ratchet one of the best tools in my arsenal of tools

luckyg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
luckyg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.